Friday, May 15, 2009

John Donne's Prayer

John Donne's Prayer

Batter my heart, three-personed God, for You
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'er throw me; and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit You, but oh, to no end;
Reason, Your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captive, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love You, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto Your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to You, imprison me, for I
Except You enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except You ravish me.


Forward the e-mail to a friend who could use a prayer.

Subscribe to receive The Daily Prayer in your e-mail every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment