Monday, November 1, 2010

Teach me your Way, O Lord

Teach me your Way, O Lord

Lord,
Teach me your way of treating others -
sinners, children, Pharisees,
Pilates and Herods,
and also John the Baptists.
Teach me your way of eating and drinking,
how to act when I'm tired from work
and need rest.

Teach me compassion
for the suffering,the poor, the blind, and the lame.
You who shed tears,
show me how to live my deepest emotions.
Above all, I want to learn
how you endured your Cross.
Teach me your way of looking at people:
the way you glanced at Peter after his denial,
the way you touched the heart of the rich young man
and the hearts of your disciples.

I would like to meet you as you really are,
since you change those who really know you.
If only I could hear you speak
as when you spoke
in the synagogue of Capernaum
or on the Mount of Beatitudes!

Give me grace to live my life,
within and without,
the way you lived your life,
O Lord.

--Pedro Arrupe, SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment